Kirk Cameron Defends Rep. Todd Akin After 'Legitimate Rape' Comment (Video)
The former "Growing Pains" star offers some support to the embattled congressman, who made a controversial comment about rape on Sunday.
Todd Akin has at least one person on his side.
The Missouri Congressman and senate candidate has been under fire since Sunday, when he told a local news anchor that the female body had protections against getting pregnant from "legitimate rape." He has been denounced by Democrats and even most Republicans, including presidential candidate Mitt Romney and RNC Chair Reince Priebus, who has suggested that he exit the race against Sen. Claire McCaskill. Yet Akin promises to continue running, and now can count actor Kirk Cameron as a supporter.
The former Growing Pains star was on the fourth hour of the Today Show on Tuesday, to promote his new religious history documentary Monumental; when asked about Akin's comments, he advocated forgiveness.
"I'm not his political strategist, thank God," Cameron told the hosts. "Clearly, this is a man who is advocating the sanctity of life through and through. He said he misspoke and he apologized for it. I like to evaluate people based on their entire life, their entire career, and (what) they stand for. He loves his wife, he's got six children. I believe he's a good man. He's now in a very, very difficult spot."
Cameron is no stranger to taking controversial stances on public issues. He created an uproar earlier in March when he called gay marriage "unnatural and detrimental," and came under fire again for knocking same-sex unions in a religious infomercial in July.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram