Lana Del Rey's Lambasted 'SNL' Performance Offends NBC's Brian Williams
The anchor refers to the singer the "least-experienced musical guest in the show's history" and "one of the worst."
Brian Williams is apparently a fan of Gawker. He does not, however, seem to care for Lana Del Rey.
Shortly after the singer was skewered for her Saturday Night Live performance over the weekend, the NBC anchor emailed Gawker editor Nick Denton, wondering why the media blog hadn't joined the chorus of dissent.
"I do wish the main page featured more TV coverage," Williams wrote Denton in an email published on Gawker. "Brooklyn hippster [sic] Lana Del Rey had one of the worst outings in SNL history last night — booked on the strength of her TWO SONG web EP, the least-experienced musical guest in the show's history, for starters."
Del Rey, one of only a handful of artists to ever appear on Saturday Night Live ahead of the U.S. release of their debut album, received a barrage of criticism on Twitter for her visibly nervous performance.
But if its any consolation, she wasn't Williams' only complaint. He took the email to share several other gripes with Denton, namely Gawker's relaxed weekend coverage.
"In my humble opinion as a loyal customer (you know I love you but the Blog View button will be the eventual cause of my death) and while I know you're in the midst of an editor change, weekends have been allowed to go awfully fallow," he wrote, "and it was a fallow holiday period for those of us who check your shit 10 times a day by iPhone. I know you've been watching NBC Nightly News religiously each evening and I'll no doubt be getting a withering, detailed critique from you straight away."
The email has since gotten Gawker in a bit of hot water with NBC. The network asked the website to remove the post, which instead prompted it to publish the ignored request.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)