Larry Wilmore Joins NBC's Joe Port-Joe Wiseman Comedy (Exclusive)
The "Daily Show" correspondent will play Jane's therapist stepfather in the multicamera comedy from the "New Girl" duo.
Funnyman Larry Wilmore is heading to NBC.
The actor-writer-comedian and Daily Show correspondent has landed a series regular role on the network's comedy from New Girl producers Joe Port and Joe Wiseman, comedy pilot Joe, Joe and Jane, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
The semiautobiographical, multicamera comedy centers on Joe Waxman, a conflict-avoidant children's book author caught in an ongoing tug-of-war between two needy, flawed people: his wife, Jane (Army Wives' Sally Pressman), and his co-author/best friend, Joe Dougan; it's not about a couple, it's about a "trouple."
Wilmore will play Walter, Jane's overly nurturing, recently divorced therapist stepfather. They're described as having an over-share-type of relationship, and he often serves as Joe Dougan's wingman.
In addition to his recent Showtime comedy special, Wilmore's credits include episodes of Malibu Country, Happy Endings and Love Bites. On the writing side, he was a consulting producer/guest star on The Office and created The Bernie Mac Show, among others.
He's repped by UTA and Hansen Jacobson.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR