Michael Jackson’s Daughter Paris Explains Why He Wanted Her Face Covered In Public (Video)
In an interview set to air on “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” one of the King of Pop’s three children said her father wanted them to have the normal childhood he never got.
The way Michael Jackson raised his children came under public scrutiny during his life, including his decision to often have them wear masks when they appeared in public with him.
Paris Jackson, the 14-year-old daughter of the late pop icon, said she didn’t understand it at the time, but now sees why the masks were necessary.
“I understand it now,” she told Oprah Winfrey. “When we went out without him, we wouldn’t be recognized and we could have a normal childhood.”
In the interview, set to air Sunday on OWN’s Oprah’s Next Chapter, Paris said they only wore the masks when they were out with her father, because it was impossible to be anonymous at his side.
“He told us when he was younger he didn’t really have a childhood,” Paris said. “He would always be stuck in the studio while other kids were playing. He wanted us to have that.”
She added that Toys “R” US and Chuck E Cheese's were her favorite childhood places to go.
Paris, who has embarked on an acting career, has previously said her grandmother Katherine Jackson wanted her to wait until she was 18 to enter show business. But she found inspiration from her father's acting.
"My Dad was in the movie Moonwalker and I knew he could sing really well but I didn’t know he could act,” she told Ellen DeGeneres late last year. “I saw that and I said, wow, I want to be just like him."
Watch the video below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)