MTV Renews 'Awkward,' Taps New Showrunners
Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler will co-run season four following creator Lauren Iungerich's exit.
MTV has renewed Awkward for a fourth season, tapping new showrunners Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler to run it, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.
Alberghini and Chessler will replace creator and former showrunner Lauren Iungerich, who left Awkward after the comedy wrapped production on season three in late June. The duo previously co-created VH1's Tori Spelling series, So NoTORIous, and also worked on The CW’s departed 90210 update and Reba.
In THR's chat with MTV's programming chief Susanne Daniels in late July, she hinted that a renewal was likely for Awkward. "I can't say who it is yet but I'm really close to closing a deal on a new showrunner," she said at the time. "And once I get that duck in its place, we can announce the next season. But it is something that we want to do."
Awkward has become one of MTV's signature scripted series. It currently ranks as the Viacom-owned network's longest-running scripted comedy. Its third season returned in April to 2.1 million total viewers, down slightly from its June 2012 premiere but even with its August 2012 finale. The return was up 5 percent among MTV's core 12-34 demo with a 2.3 rating -- the show's highest premiere in the metric.
Awkward will return for the second half of the 20-episode season three in October.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)