'American Idol' Producer Rebooting 'Name That Tune'
FremantleMedia has secured worldwide rights to the iconic game show.
Iconic game show Name That Tune could be returning to television.
American Idol and The X Factor production company FremantleMedia has secured worldwide rights to the property from Prestige Entertainment Group, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
As first reported by Vulture, the music-themed game show that first ran from 1953-1959 on NBC and CBS is being rebooted for a modern audience, with Fremantle becoming the latest to attempt the Tune revival.
The series, which also ran in syndication from 1974-1981 and again in 1984 with host Jim Lange, featured contestants competing for cash prizes as they attempted to properly identify music performed by a live singer and/or orchestra.
VH1 attempted to revive the franchise in 2001-02 with a video take on the series featuring contestants identifying the song titles after screening the music video. The Family Channel most recently aired syndicated episodes from 1993-1996.
MTV and CBS also attempted Tune reboots, neither of which got off the ground.
While plans for the Fremantle revival remain unclear, Vulture notes the company is mulling whether to develop Tune for cable, broadcast or syndication or a combination the three.
Tune becomes the latest property in Fremantle's stable; the company also has a stake in competitive fare including America's Got Talent, The Price Is Right, Let's Make a Deal and Family Feud in syndication with Syfy's Total Blackout due in April.
Watch an episode below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack