NBC Cancels 'Ironside,' 'Welcome to the Family'; Slots 'Community,' 'Chicago PD'
UPDATED: "Dateline" will replace "Ironside" on Wednesdays at 10 p.m., while "Parks and Recreation" will be moved back to 8:30 p.m.
The original Ironside lasted for 199 episodes and one TV movie. NBC's remake starring Blair Underwood has been pulled after just three episodes. Canceled along with the freshman drama is rookie comedy Welcome to the Family.
In place of Ironside, the network will air Dateline on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. through November and December as well as a roster of upcoming holiday specials. Chicago Fire spinoff Chicago PD will take over the Wednesday at 10 p.m. slot starting Jan. 8. (The final Ironside will air Oct. 23.)
Back-to-back episodes of Parks and Recreation, a special edition of The Voice, Halloween specials and The Sound of Music Live will share the 8-9 p.m. slot on Thursdays for the rest of the fall to fill the void created by Welcome to the Family's cancelation. The Sing-Off will take over the time slot for a two-week run in December.
Community will return with back-to-back episodes from 8-9 p.m. starting Jan. 9. The fifth season of the comedy, with creator Dan Harmon back as showrunner, will take over its new time slot at 8 p.m. starting Jan. 9, when Parks shifts from 8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Despite a surplus of star power from lead Underwood, Ironside opened to an underwhelming 1.3 rating with adults 18-49 and 6.8 million viewers the first Wednesday after premiere week. It slid during its second outing, averaging a 1.1 in the demo.
Welcome to the Family, meanwhile, opened with a limp 1.2 rating on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m., ranking as NBC's lowest in-season comedy debut. The Mike O'Malley starrer shed 27 percent in its second week and a 0.8 in the demo as NBC finished in seventh place for the night.
The two series mark the peacock's first pulled plugs of the 2013-14 season, following in the unfortunate footsteps of ABC's Lucky 7 and CBS' We Are Men.
Here's NBC's Wednesday at 10 p.m. lineup:
• Oct. 30: Law & Order: SVU (encore of season premiere)
• Nov. 6: Dateline (original)
• Nov. 13: Dateline (original)
• Nov. 20: Dateline (original)
• Nov. 27: SNL Thanksgiving
• Dec. 4: SNL Christmas (9-11 p.m.)
• Dec. 11: Kelly Clarkson Christmas Special
• Dec. 18: Michael Buble Christmas Special
• Jan. 8, 2014: Premiere of Chicago P.D.
And Thursdays at 8 p.m.:
• Oct. 24: The Voice (encore)
• Oct. 31: SNL Halloween
• Nov. 7: The Voice (live)
• Nov. 14: Parks and Recreation (back-to-back new episodes)
• Nov. 21: Parks and Recreation (back-to-back new episodes)
• Nov. 28: Sunday Night Football Thanksgiving game
• Dec. 5: The Sound of Music Live telecast
• Dec. 12: The Sing-Off
• Dec. 19: The Sing-Off
• Jan. 2, 2014: Season premiere of Community (back-to-back episodes)
• Jan. 9: 100th episode of Parks and Recreation (8:30 p.m.)
Sundance: On the Scene