NBC News' Brian Williams to Take Leave of Absence for Knee Surgery
Beginning sometime next week, Lester Holt will fill in for the "Nightly News" host.
Brian Williams will be away from his NBC anchor's desk temporarily, starting sometime next week.
During a segment about chronic knee pain on Nightly News, the anchor informed his audience that he will soon be undergoing knee surgery.
"By the way, if -- starting in a few days' time -- you don't see me around here for a while, this is the reason why," he said at the top of the segment. He may be back at work within a few weeks.
The anchor said that he will undergo his fourth knee operation. "I reached a point recently in the last 12 months where I decided this has to happen," he said.
NBC's Lester Holt will fill in to host on Nightly News while Williams is away.
The anchor discusses chronic knee pain with the network's chief medical editor in the segment:
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR