NBC News' Brian Williams to Take Leave of Absence for Knee Surgery
Beginning sometime next week, Lester Holt will fill in for the "Nightly News" host.
Brian Williams will be away from his NBC anchor's desk temporarily, starting sometime next week.
During a segment about chronic knee pain on Nightly News, the anchor informed his audience that he will soon be undergoing knee surgery.
"By the way, if -- starting in a few days' time -- you don't see me around here for a while, this is the reason why," he said at the top of the segment. He may be back at work within a few weeks.
The anchor said that he will undergo his fourth knee operation. "I reached a point recently in the last 12 months where I decided this has to happen," he said.
NBC's Lester Holt will fill in to host on Nightly News while Williams is away.
The anchor discusses chronic knee pain with the network's chief medical editor in the segment:
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)