NBC Signs on to Adapt 'Romancing the Stone'
"The Forgotten's" Mark Friedman will write the adaptation of the 1984 feature with Shawn Levy attached to direct.
Remakes continue to be a hot property this development season with NBC signing on to adapt the 1984 Fox feature Romancing the Stone.
The action-adventure, which starred Kathleen Turner as a New York romance novelist who goes on a treasure hunt and encouters a bird exporter (Michael Douglas) and antique smuggler (Danny DeVito), is being developed by 20th Century Fox Television and Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum) and Marty Adelstein’s 21 Laps/Adelstein Productions.
NBC has ordered a script, to be written by The Forgotten creator Mark Friedman, with Levy attached to direct should his schedule permit.
The reboot would follow a woman who teams with a risk-taking adventurer as they go on weekly quests in a bid to find her missing brother.
Friedman, Levy, Adelstein and Becky Clements will executive produce.
An updated Blues Brothers TV project is also being shopped to networks and studios.
ABC also is preparing to launch a Miami-set update of Charlie’s Angels next month.
More TV development news
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)