NBC's 'Sound of Music' Casts von Trapp Children
Seven young actors join the live Dec. 5 performance starring Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer.
NBC's The Sound of Music has cast the von Trapp children.
Joining Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer in the live Dec. 5 performance of the classic musical are Ariane Rinehart (Liesl), Michael Nigro (Fredrich), Ella Watts-Gorman (Louisa), Joe West (Kurt), Sophia Caruso (Brigitta), Grace Rundhaug (Marta) and Peyton Ella (young Gretl).
They join previously announced cast members Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti and Christian Borle.
The three-hour production is based on the original 1959 Broadway production of The Sound of Music, which starred Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel. The play won the Tony Award for best musical, with Martin winning for best actress. The 1965 Sound of Music film adaptation starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer went on to win five Academy Awards, including best picture.
Living in Austria on the cusp of World War II, the militaristic but warm-hearted Capt. Georg von Trapp (Moyer) engages a young governess, Maria (Underwood), whom he hires to take care of his seven children.
The Sound of Music, produced by Universal TV, is executive produced by Neil Meron and Craig Zadan. Beth McCarthy-Miller and Rob Ashford will serve as directors.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game