Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen DeGeneres Cheer Passage of New York Gay Marriage Bill
The "How I Met Your Mother" star says he's now one step closer to wedding partner David Burtka.
How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris is one step closer to the altar following the passage of a gay marriage bill in New York Friday night.
Harris -- who tweeted updates in support of the bill throughout Friday -- indicated on Saturday that the legislation opened the door for an actual wedding to his partner David Burtka. He wrote,"David and I did propose to each other, but over five years ago! We'be been wearing engagement rings for ages, waiting for an available date."
Shortly after the bill was passed in the New York State Senate Friday night Harris tweeted, "It PASSED! Marriage equality in NY!! Yes!! Progress!! Thank you everyone who worked so hard on this!! A historic night!!"
Earlier tweets on the same subject included: "I'd sure love to get married. Please, NY Senate, vote in favor of marriage equality today My family would really appreciate it" and "Please vote yes on marriage equality. It'd mean a lot to me and my family."
Harris and Burtka are parents of twins.
The New York State Senate passed the bill legalizing gay marriage late Friday in a 32-29 vote. Many in Hollywood and the music industry took to Twitter to applaud the news, such as Ellen DeGeneres, Lady Gaga, Kathy Griffin, Russell Simmons, Alec Baldwin and Shannon Elizabeth.
DeGeneres wrote, "I'm thrilled about the news from NY. Marriage equality! Every day we get a little closer. What an amazing feeling.”
Lady Gaga posted a celebratory picture and wrote, "The revolution is ours to fight for love, justice+equality. Rejoice NY, and propose. We did it!!!"
Russell Simmons said, "As a proud New Yorker, I applaud the work of our state gov't and all of the advocates on tonight's vote to legalize same sex marriage."
“Tonight we’re all New Yorkers! Straight & gay alike, let’s all celebrate marriage equality,” tweeted Griffin. “The right side of history!”
“Marriage equality.... vote yes,” added Baldwin.
Tweeted Elizabeth: “Congrats to NY!!!! I just heard gay marriage passed 30 minutes ago-yayayay!!!!!!”
Alyssa Milano said: “Way to go, New York. One people. One planet. One love. #Equality4All, and actress Elizabeth Banks weighed in: “Party on Christopher Street! Wish I was there. Congrats New York. #terroristsdidnotwin”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack