Netflix Gives 10-Episode Order to Wachowskis' 'Sense8'
The sci-fi drama, from Georgeville TV, will open at the home of "House of Cards" in late 2014.
Andy and Lana Wachowski are moving into TV -- and they're doing it with Netflix.
The streaming giant has announced a 10-episode pickup for Sense8, a sci-fi drama produced by Georgeville Television in association with Studio JMS. It's a first for the Wachowskis, whose film efforts include the Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta and Cloud Atlas, and partners them with veteran showrunner J. Michael Straczynski.
“Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time,” said Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos. “Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally, and we can’t wait to bring Sense8 to life.”
Though there isn't a glut of details on the project, Sense8 is described as a global story of "minds linked and souls hunted." It will debut in late 2014.
"We're excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we've wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy,” said Andy and Lana Wachowski. “Several years ago, we had a late night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born."
Sense8 follows in the steps of Netflix originals Lilyhammer and House of Cards. A handful of other series, including Arrested Development, Derek, Hemlock Grove and Orange Is The New Black, will also debut within the year.
Georgeville Television has two other series in pre-production, including NBC pirate drama Crossbones.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game