Netflix Renews 'Orange Is the New Black'
The Jenji Kohan comedy has been picked up for a second season weeks ahead of its debut.
Netflix has renewed Orange Is the New Black, weeks ahead of the series' launch.
The streaming service has ordered 13 more episodes of the Lionsgate TV production for a second season, a Netflix source confirms.
From Weeds creator Jenji Kohan and based on Piper Kerman's memoir, the dark comedy stars Taylor Schilling as a Brooklyn resident named Piper who winds up behind bars after her decade-old personal and business relationship with drug runner Alex (Laura Prepon) comes to light.
The ensemble cast also includes Jason Biggs, Natasha Lyonne, Kate Mulgrew and Pablo Schreiber.
The 13-episode first season will debut in all territories where Netflix is available, including the U.S., U.K., Canada, Ireland, Latin America, Brazil and the Nordics at 12:01 a.m. PT
on July 11.
The news comes weeks after Netflix gave horror-thriller Hemlock Grove a second season, ordering 10 more episodes for the Eli Roth produced series. Production is already under way for the second season of House of Cards.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game