'New Girl,' 'Unforgettable': Tim Goodman's TV Reviews
Read what THR's chief TV critic has to say about the Fox comedy starring Zooey Deschanel and the CBS procedural with Poppy Montgomery, both of which debut tonight.
Two new broadcast shows debut tonight: Fox's comedy New Girl, starring Zooey Deschanel, and CBS' procedural Unforgettable, with Poppy Montgomery.
New Girl centers on Jess (Deschanel), who moves in with three guys after her boyfriend cheats on her.
"Viewers will want Jess to make it in life because, well, you'd have to be pretty jaded not to," he writes. "This might seem like a thin premise, but creator Elizabeth Meriwether manages to make the situations funny and lets Deschanel channel her charm -- a winning combination. Although the pilot is centered on Jess watching Dirty Dancing multiple times to get over her split and the guys suffering her existence, there are more than enough laughs and enough potential to wager that future episodes will build on this little world."
Unforgettable, meanwhile, centers on a former cop (Montgomery) who has a medically rare but true ability to remember every detail of every day (except how her sister died in the woods when they were younger, an event that haunts her).
Goodman calls the show "particularly tedious."
"Once called upon to remember every single important detail of a day or scene, Montgomery's character basically goes mute and looks around in slow motion while the camera replays what we've already seen," he writes. "It's a new kind of plodding -- so slow, you are almost begging her to stay retired so you don't have to witness her gifts in action again."
New Girl premieres at 9 p.m., while Unforgettable debuts at 10 p.m.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game