Newt Gingrich's South Carolina Victory Gives Fox News Ratings Win
Fox News bests its cable news competition with 2.6 million viewers from 7-11 p.m., followed by CNN with 1.2 million, for the net's best tune-in this primary cycle.
Fox News Channel led the cable news competition for coverage of Saturday’s South Carolina primary. From 7-11 p.m., Fox News averaged 2.6 million viewers with 703,000 of them in news’ target demographic of viewers 25-54.
Most television news organization declared Newt Gingrich – who pummeled Mitt Romney – the winner at the top of the 7 p.m. hour; polls officially closed in South Carolina at 7 p.m. ET.
CNN finished second for the night averaging 1.2 million viewers – its best tune-in for a primary this cycle – with 471,000 in the demo. MSNBC averaged 985,000 viewers from 7-11 p.m. with 240,000 in the demo.
The South Carolina primary was not exactly close, unlike the Iowa caucus, which had eight votes separating Romney and Rick Santorum, and last week was awarded to Santorum after a recount. But Gingrich’s clear victory over heretofore GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney gave the cable news networks a ready-made and engaging redemption narrative for the evening.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)