Obama's Big Bird Ad Hits Mitt Romney as Soft on Wall Street (Video)
UPDATED: Sesame Workshop requests that Obama take down the ad from YouTube.
President Obama is turning to Big Bird to help him chase the clouds away.
Though Mitt Romney was judged overwhelmingly to have won last week's debate, his mention of Big Bird, in the context of cutting federal funding for PBS, drew some guffaws, and gave the Obama campaign something to cling to as it looked to climb back from the knock down. After mentioning Big Bird in various speeches over the weekend, the president and his team have taken the next step: featuring the big yellow childhood favorite in an attack ad.
Soon after its release, Sesame Workshop requested that the Obama campaign take down the ad.
"Sesame Workshop is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization and we do not endorse candidates or participate in political campaigns," it said in a statement. "We have approved no campaign ads, and as is our general practice, have requested that the ad be taken down."
With a mocking tone, the ad paints the bird as an evil titan of Wall Street, in the process taking a shot at Romney's long career in finance.
In a release that came with the ad, the campaign writes, "Even on issues as seemingly simple as 8-foot tall talking birds and early childhood education, Mitt Romney’s rhetoric is out of touch with the facts. When asked how he would cut the deficit, Romney’s answer is to eliminate PBS and Sesame Street – an absurd solution. You would need to cut PBS more than 1,000 times to fill the hole in Romney’s budget promises!"
PBS executives struck back at Romney following the debate, as well, with CEO Paula Kerger saying that she was stunned by the GOP candidate's remarks.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game