Olympics Opening Ceremony: James Bond and the Queen Meet, Parachute Into the Stadium (Video)
The Danny Boyle-directed extravaganza included plenty of cultural touchstones, none more prominent than these two UK legends.
It couldn't get any more British if it came drenched in tea.
In planning a proper celebration of all things London, Olympics Opening Ceremony director Danny Boyle went right for the crown jewel: the Queen of England, herself. And he didn't stop there, as the Oscar winner teamed the beloved monarch with one of the island nation's most popular cultural exports, James Bond, in a pre-taped video kickoff that may have Skyfall director Sam Mendes jealous of his casting ability.
In what would be the ultimate Bond movie opening, the Queen brings in the Daniel Craig-potrayed 007 to give him his next mission: kicking off the Olympiad. And she didn't stop there, as she (or, and this is just a hunch, someone dressed up like her) joined the intrepid secret agent in a skydive into the London stadium where the festivities were being held.
Despite the bit's importance, it wasn't easy to get made. It took three attempts, Nic Brown, the BBC Director of Drama Production, wrote in a blog post earlier today, with red tape, clouds and other headaches making the shoot about as difficult as winning a gold medal.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR