One Million Moms Group Takes Aim at Jennifer Lopez's ABC Family Pilot
The anti-gay group says the pilot about a lesbian family is "attempting to redefine marriage."
Anti-gay conservative group One Million Moms, fresh off a losing battle against NBC's The New Normal, has turned its focus on an ABC Family pilot about a lesbian couple raising children.
ABC Family ordered The Fosters to pilot in August. The hourlong drama stars Teri Polo (The West Wing) and Sherri Saum (Rescue Me) as Stef and Lena Foster, a mixed-race lesbian couple who are parents to a biological son as well as several adopted children. When one decides to take in a troubled teen with an abusive past, their lives are turned upside down.
The conservative group took to its website Monday to take aim at the Disney-owned cabler, blasting the network that's home to LGBT-friendly fare including Pretty Little Liars "anything but family friendly."
"While foster care and adoption is a wonderful thing and the Bible does teach us to help orphans, this program is attempting to redefine marriage and family by having two moms raise these children together," the group wrote.
"One Million Moms is not sure how the explanation will be given on how the biological children were conceived. None of this material is acceptable content for a family show," the group wrote.
OMM called on members to email and ask the network to drop plans to move forward with the series. ABC Family declined comment.
Bradley Bredeweg and Peter Paige (Queer as Folk) penned the pilot, which will be executive produced by Jennifer Lopez's Nuyorican Productions. Simon Fields, Bredeweg, Paige and Greg Gugliotta executive produce the pilot, which is currently in preproduction.
NBC's The New Normal -- which revolves around a gay couple who use a surrogate to expand their family -- will take aim at the group during Tuesday's episode. OMM previously called for an advertiser boycott on the Ryan Murphy/Ali Adler comedy, which ultimately went nowhere as NBC picked up the series for a full season last week.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)