Oprah Winfrey Developing Complex Family Drama Project at HBO (Exclusive)
The project centers on the first black president of a prestigious liberal arts college who has been thrust into the national headlines while quietly engaging in agonizing personal battles.
HBO is back in the Oprah Winfrey business.
The premium cable network is developing a drama from Winfrey's Harpo Films. The untitled project centers on a wealthy academic who has become the first black president of a prestigious liberal arts college. He and his family are thrust into national headlines, forcing them to present an idyllic public façade, all while engaging in agonizing personal battles and struggling with dark obsessions.
Playwright Thomas Bradshaw is on board to write and co-executive produce the hourlong effort, with Winfrey and Harpo's Kate Forte attached as executive producers.
Harpo first inked a long-term deal with HBO in late 2008 to develop miniseries, movies, documentaries and scripted series for the network. Before that, the production company behind such efforts as Tuesdays With Morrie and Amy & Isabelle was set up for many years at ABC.
For Bradshaw, the project follows a string of well-received plays, including The Bereaved, Southern Promises, Dawn and his latest, Job. By day, the 32-year-old recipient of a 2009 Guggenheim Fellowship is a professor at Northwestern.
Bradshaw is repped by AO International Talent Agency and Manage-Ment; Winfrey is repped by CAA.
E-mail: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Kristen Bell Stuns In Pink Gown With Thigh-High Slit At 'Veronica Mars' Premiere
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Neon Skinny Jeans On 'American Idol' Set
- Khloe Kardashian Wows In Curve-Hugging Dress At Miami Dash Opening
- Mindfulness in Everyday Life -- So You Want to Be Famous? What You Need to Know About Celebrity
- Amazon Is Raising the Price of Amazon Prime
- Lars’s Real Girl: Charlotte Gainsbourg on Fame, Nymphomaniac, and Working With von Trier
- Edelstein on Le Week-End: Unbelievably Marvelous, in Light of Its Depressing Trajectory
- Ebiri: If Need for Speed Were a Silent Movie, It Would Be the Most Amazing Racing Movie Ever