'Orange Is the New Black' Creator Jenji Kohan: Netflix 'Cryptic' About Show's Popularity
She reveals how the streaming service, which doesn't disclose ratings, characterizes viewership and shares her thoughts on binge-watching.
Netflix famously doesn't release ratings information, even for what it claims is its most watched original series: Orange Is the New Black.
And that secrecy extends to show creator Jenji Kohan, who tells The New York Times that the streaming service provides "very cryptic" assessments of the show's popularity.
"They say things like, 'We're very pleased,' " she says. The newspaper adds that Kohan first found the ratings blackout disconcerting, but now she enjoys not knowing.
"I'm finding the dark very restful and easy on the eyes," she tells the Times.
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos previously said that even House of Cards executive producer David Fincher doesn't know exactly how many people are watching his series.
As for the phenomenon of binge-watching, which Netflix helped popularize, Kohan's a bit more ambivalent about that.
"I miss [TV-show-watching] being a shared experience in real time," she says. "But it's something else, and I have to embrace that."
Renewed for a second season, Orange Is the New Black is set to return to Netflix in 2014.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!