THR's Editorial Director Janice Min Talks Oscars Nominations on NBC's 'Today' (Video)
Among the hot topics: Brad Pitt's Academy Award nominations for "Moneyball" and "The Tree of Life," Melissa McCarthy's surprise "Bridesmaids" nod and rising star Michael Fassbender's "Shame" snub.
When the Oscar nominations were announced Tuesday, THR editorial director Janice Min was on hand at the Today show to break down the winners and losers.
"The big winner here is Brad Pitt: he produced two movies ... Moneyball and Tree of Life," said Min following Tuesday's announcements. "That's a real testament to his power not just as an actor but as a producer."
Another surprise, she said, was Melissa McCarthy's supporting actress nomination for the raunchy comedy Bridesmaids, "not an Academy" choice of film. Meanwhile, best-actor losses with Leonardo DiCaprio for J.Edgar and Michael Fassbender for Shame were, collectively, a "huge upset," Min noted.
The 84th annual Academy Awards will be presented Feb. 26 at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles.
Martin Scorsese's 3D ode to movies, Hugo, leads the field with 11 nominations with silent film The Artist following with 10. Nine films were nominated including The Tree of Life, War Horse, The Descendants, Moneyball and The Artist.
Watch the Today clip below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR