February 07, 2012 1:19pm PT by Philiana Ng
'Parenthood': Mae Whitman, Sam Jaeger and Miles Heizer Tease 5 Upcoming Developments
The Bravermans return to television with the 50th episode of Parenthood, marking the TV directorial debut of series star Peter Krause.
In "Politics," Mark invites Sarah to a friend's engagement party, stirring up conversation about a baby in their very near future, while Amber gets promoted at work but she begins to doubt whether it was her skills or connection with her boss that sparked it. Julia Joel continue to grapple with whether or not to stick with their adoption agreement with Zoe and brothers Adam and Crosby butt heads over The Luncheonette.
Co-stars Mae Whitman, Sam Jaeger and Miles Heizer shared with The Hollywood Reporter a few things to keep an eye out for:
1. Julia and Joel Hit Roadblocks With Zoe: The question of whether Julia and Joel will be adding another baby to the brood will lead up to the dramatic season finale. "Eventually the baby has to be born and trying to figure out if Zoe is ready to make that exchange is really what the end of the season's about," Jaeger told THR. "It's a heartbreaking storyline because Joel and Julia really do care about this young girl and the more they care about her, the more empowered she becomes." Jaeger added that "it becomes really intense at the end of the season," in part due to the "close, tight" relationship they have with Zoe. Still, the question remains: Will she "give her baby up"? In a new scene, Joel "tries to have a heart-to-heart with her about whether she's prepared to let go of this baby or not."
2. Conflict Arises From Amber's New Political Gig: Amber may not have the best track record but landing a gig working for a local politician will present its own challenges. "Amber is getting back on track and figuring out her shit. She's starting to gain confidence, finding that she's really smart and deserves to be where she's at," Whitman tells THR. "She's working for Bob Little (guest star Jonathan Tucker) right now. That's presenting a lot of challenges. There are going to be romantic things and huge job interests and intense adult stuff she's going to have to deal with."
3. Drew Grows Up With College on the Mind: Though Heizer was unsure about Drew's journey toward the end of the season, he emphasized Drew and girlfriend Amy's college search as being playing a big role in his character's growth. "My sister is going to college right now," Heizer shared with THR. "They kind of did it with Amber, but it happens to everyone graduating from high school. I'm sure we'll address that."
4. Parenthood: The Music Video?: "We just shot a music video with everyone from Parenthood," Heizer revealed. "Mae's boyfriend, Landon [Pigg], is a musician and covered a song we all really like. That was pretty memorable. I don't know what we're going to do with it, but it was a lot of fun."
5. Looking Ahead to a (Potential) Season 4: For Jaeger, uncertainty surrounding the NBC drama's chances of receiving a fourth season is nowhere near the top of the list of things to think about. "I'm trying this year to appreciate being on a show where I don't lift DNA samples for three seasons," he said.
Parenthood airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on NBC.