'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: The Liars Finally Tell Someone About 'A'
Season 2, Episode 11: After the Liars tell Dr. Sullivan about "A," the doctor goes missing and we learn some new details about the connection between the DiLaurentis family and the Hastings clan.
In the penultimate episode of the summer, “I Must Confess,” the Liars have finally shared their biggest secret: That "A" has been terrorizing them.
When the Liars spilled the beans to Dr. Sullivan (Annabeth Gish), I think it’s safe to say the audience breathed a collective sigh of relief. No matter the repercussions for her or them, it’s so nice to at last have someone other than the four girls who knows about "A."
After questioning why the girls have waited so long to tell someone about this (aren’t we all?), Dr. Sullivan gives an anti-bullying presentation at Rosewood High. Essentially calling out all bullies but especially those who bully by pressing the send button on a phone or e-mail, the speech was clearly written after learning about “A.” There were close-ups of Jenna (Tammin Sursok), Noel (Brant Daugherty), Lucas (Brendan Robinson) and Mona (Janel Parrish) during the presentation. Could it be possible that the showrunners are giving us hints about candidates for "A"? Maybe?
Now that Dr. Sullivan knows the truth, she is obviously "A's" newest target. After receiving a creepy phone call with a repeated playback of herself saying, “And I’m the first one you told about this?” she calls the police. Of course, the friendly corrupt cop Garrett (Yani Gellman) shows up questioning if it could be the clients themselves who bugged her office, but we all know it was “A.” Poring over her files, the doctor comes across one for someone seeking help for anger management and overpowering feelings of revenge who has adversaries who are “nosey bitches,” and she’s sure she’s figured out who “A” is. The doctor calls Emily (Shay Mitchell) and tells her to gather the girls at her office. Only when they get there, there is no Dr. Sullivan. Just a simultaneous text from “A” saying “The Doctor is out.” The question now becomes what has “A” done with Dr. Sullivan?
In this episode, we also learned some backstory about just how involved Spencer’s (Troian Bellisario) dad (Nolan North) and the DiLaurentis family are. Apparently, Papa Hastings doctored the date on grandma DiLaurentis’ former will to include Jason. Prior to Ali’s disappearance, her grandmother had changed her will to cut him out, which we can infer from Allison (Sasha Pieterse) in a flashback could be due to his intention to hawk a family heirloom for drug money. While Peter Hastings wouldn’t answer all the questions Spencer had, like "Why he would break the law for them?" he did tell her they wanted it changed so Jason wouldn’t look like the number one suspect in Ali’s disappearance. Spencer believes the trip Allison took to visit her grandmother was to get her to change the will to include only her. Of course, being who she [Allison] is, she rubbed this information in Jason’s face, and this must be why he killed her or so Spence's theory goes.
Things have also come to a head in the Mike Montgomery (Cody Christian) situation, though we still don’t know exactly why Aria’s (Lucy Hale) younger brother is so depressed. After an encounter, which left his mother with a sprained wrist, it seems he may finally be ready to come clean to his family.
Hanna (Ashley Benson) also had to deal with her scheming soon-to-be-stepsister, Kate (Natalie Hall), during her dad’s rehearsal dinner who fed her alcohol to the point of sickness and a visit from her Grandmother Regina (Betty Buckley). After throwing up all over Isabelle’s wedding dress, her dad is furious with her, but Grandma helps put Kate in her place and show Hanna she was being played. It appears Regina is not a big fan of Isabelle’s family either and would like a reunion between her son and Ashley (Laura Leighton).
Some additional thoughts/observations:
- Maya (Bianca Lawson) is back and went to dinner with Emily. How long will she be back for? We don't know.
- Hanna seemed a bit eager and naive to trust her soon to be stepsister who had just threatened her. You’d think she’d be a bit smarter considering all she’s been through. Thank God for Grandma Marin.
- What dirt does the DiLaurentis family have on the Hastings clan that Spencer’s dad would break the law for them? This has to be major information.
- Emily telling Jenna to move her stick because people are trying to get past her is one of the best moments of the season. Watch the other Liars’ faces in this scene. Priceless.
Quotes of the week:
- “I’m not going to be used like a bowling ball to knock down my best friends.” – Emily
- “Happy. What’s Happy? Cows are happy and they end up as Sloppy Joes” – Regina
Next week is what we’ve been waiting for, the midseason summer finale, “Over My Dead Body.” The Hollywood Reporter was on the set of Pretty Little Liars on Monday and got all the scoop about what will go down in this episode and beyond.
The finale, “Over My Dead Body,” airs Tuesday, Aug. 30, at 8 p.m. on ABC Family following a marathon of Episodes 3-11 of the second season.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- ReThink Review: American Hustle - David O. Russell Assembles His All-Stars
- Theater: Fiona Shaw Rocks In One Of The Last Shows Of The Year
- Beyonce Surprises Fans With New Album Featuring Jay Z, Blue Ivy, Drake
- A Christmas Gift For You: A Conversation with Phil Spector & The Crystals' La La Brooks, Chatting with The Piano Guys, Plus Pink Martini and Sydney York Exclusives