'Happily Divorced' Preview: Fran Drescher 'Excited' by New Project (VIDEO)
Watch scenes and interviews from the new show, premiering Wednesday on TV Land.
Fran Drescher returns to series television Wednesday on TV Land's Happily Divorced. In the sitcom, the former Nanny star portrays a woman who lives with her gay ex-husband, played by John Michael Higgins.
The show is loosely based on Drescher's relationship with her own ex-husband, Peter Marc Jacobson. Jacobson is Drescher's co-writer and producing partner on the project and also executive produced The Nanny. He did not come out as a gay man until after their divorce.
Drescher says of her new role, "To explore a new relationship and a new character, someone that obviously is older and has a different life experience, is very exciting to me."
Higgins, who has played gay characters before in projects like Best in Show and the off-Broadway play Jeffrey, says he's cast as homosexual characters mainly because he's played one before, "I think it's because I've done one, people liked it so they hire you for another one, and then they like that. That's what happens in Hollywood."
He adds, "I never think of my characters as being gay, even if they are gay, there's a person there first."
Rita Moreno, Tichina Arnold, Robert Walden and Valente Rodriguez co-star.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR