Rainn Wilson on his Potential 'Office' Spin-Off: 'It's Even More Far Out and Weirder'
The actor who plays Dwight Schrute reveals his idea for the proposed farm-set series during a red carpet interview at the SAG Awards.
Rainn Wilson was forced to address reports of his Office spin-off at the SAG Awards Sunday.
After quipping that "spin-offs never work," particularly "with a character as annoying as Dwight [Schrute]," the actor confirmed that it is indeed an idea he is discussing.
"It could be really cool because It would be on his farm, which would be a bed & breakfast, and it would have a crazy menagerie of characters," he told E!'s Giuliana Rancic on the red carpet, adding: "It would be even more far out and weirder than The Office... it's a good idea."
The concept could get a test of sorts on an episode of The Office later this season. Wilson, along with actor/showrunner Paul Lieberstein and executive producer Ben Silverman, are believed to be involved, though the actor suggested the spin-off is just an idea being "mulled over" at this point.
The conversations come months after the long-running NBC comedy was forced to undergo a significant casting change in the wake of Steve Carell’s departure. The series came back in September with new hire James Spader and Ed Helm’s Andy Bernard assuming the role of regional manager.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR