Regis Philbin’s Final ‘Live!’ Episode Set to Net Record Ratings
According to overnight metered estimates, the show’s numbers tripled in some markets for ABC’s live morning talk show when Kelly Ripa bid farewell to her co-host.
After more than two decades hosting Live! – first with Kathie Lee Gifford since 1988 and with Kelly Ripa since 2001 – Regis Philbin can expect big ratings for his sendoff when national numbers come in Tuesday.
Based on preliminary household ratings from New York City and Philadelphia, nearly one-third of TV viewers were tuned in Friday.
Friday’s show, which had a celebrity-packed studio audience including Donald Trump, Gifford, Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer and Alan Alda, scored an 8.7 for its last quarter in New York, nearly triple what the show averaged last November (2.9), according to Nielsen Media Research.
Philbin’s swan song performed even better in Philadelphia, with 9.7, compared to last year’s 3.5 for the same month.
This past February, THR reported Live! With Regis and Kelly hit a two-year ratings high when Philbin not only announced his impending departure from the show, but also interviewed pop sensation Justin Bieber. The episode average a 3.1 household rating for the week, its highest number since December 2008, according to Nielsen.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack