Regis Philbin's 'Live' Replacement Search Narrowed By Disney-ABC (Report)
Ever since Regis Philbin announced earlier this year that he would be leaving his morning gig on Live with Regis and Kelly in November, possible replacements have been tossed around in the media. A new report, though, says that list has been narrowed down.
According to the Wall Street Journal’s sources, the morning show’s distributors, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, are considering a range of possible candidates. The article mentions the following names:
- TV and radio personality, American Idol’s Ryan Seacrest, 36.
- Bravo executive and host of the network’s late-night talk show, Watch What Happens: Live, Andy Cohen, 43.
- Actor Mark Consuelos, 40, who frequently substitutes for Philbin on the show and happens to be married to co-host Kelly Ripa.
All three possible candidates have shown they can handle hosting a live show. Cohen and Consuelos may have the upper hand when it comes to chemistry with the actress. She has been a guest on Cohen’s Bravo show several times and they're personal friends. And Consuelos’ connection to Ripa needs no further explanation.
An ABC-Disney spokesperson dismissed the report, telling WSJ “it’s ridiculous at this point to be speculating about who will replace him.”
[Update June 20 1:01 p.m.: A previous version of this article reported that the list of contenders has been narrowed down to three final candidates, but should have read that Disney-ABC is considering a wide range of possible candidates. WSJ mentions Seacrest, Cohen and Consuelos.]
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR