Regis Philbin's Next Career Move: A Reality Show
The retiring talk show host reveals he has already shot a pilot.
After 28 seasons, Regis Philbin just started the beginning of the end this week. The 80-year-old talk show vet announced his retirement from Live with Regis and Kelly earlier this year and he has an end date: Nov. 18. But if it were up to him, the end would’ve come a lot sooner.
"I wanted to leave at the end of my contract in August,” Philbin tells USA Today. “But they wanted to drag it out until November."
Nevertheless, he’s not exactly done with show business. He wouldn't do Dancing with the Stars, but Phibin reveals that he has shot footage for a reality series pilot in Los Angeles just last week and he already has a name chosen: "This Week With Regis!" he says.
"There are several things that interest me,” he says. “You know these reality shows? I would love to do a real reality show where Regis goes out.”
He says that cameras followed him on a visit to an eye doctor and then to an appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, saying the cameras caught everything. “Whatever happened, happened," he says.
Of course, the star is still waiting to see the edited product, but he has no delusions of grandeur that he’ll knock the first family of reality TV off its throne.
"How do you compete with the Kardashians?” he says. “Regis on the street — I'm no Kim Kardashian."
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws