'Ringer's' Sarah Michelle Gellar Explains Her Return to TV: 'I Missed it'
The actress describes the process that led her to join The CW show.
It’s almost an embarrassment of riches for Sarah Michelle Gellar fans that she’s making her return to television twice as awesome for The CW’s Ringer. On the series, she plays twins whose lives have gone in very different directions.
"I think it’s like children," Gellar tells reporters about pulling off the dual role Thursday at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour.
"When you’re each one," she continues. "You have to love each individually and understand that one. So when I’m Bridget, I feel all of Bridget’s motivations and Siobhan’s wrong. And when I’m Siobhan, everything Bridget does is wrong. So, I try to get in the head of each of them."
Gellar says the path back to TV was a long one after Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended in 2003. “I was very burnt out after Buffy,” she says.
“It took me essentially I was 18 on the pilot to 24 when we finished,” she continues. “I never had free time. That show was my life. I was doing movies on the hiatuses and weekends. Afterward, I started to explore that gypsy lifestyle, I traveled and I did work with some great actors… It was sort of this great learning experience.”
While she was exploring the world and her film opportunities, she began watching a lot of television on DVD in other countries and came to a realization “that all of the amazing roles for women were on television.” She says. “I was spoiled by Buffy, because I thought that was what it was like everywhere and it’s not.”
Roles for women weren’t the only reason why she decided that it was a good time in her life to return to television. She says that after she had her daughter, she wanted to quit traveling and stay home to be there for her daughter. “And nothing offers that more than television,” Gellar says. “And what was so interesting after I came back was that I realized how much I missed it.”
Ringer premieres Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 9 p.m.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!