'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'' James Franco Describes 'Incredible' Special Effects (Video)
"This movie could only have been made today," he says on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Thursday.
James Franco was in awe of the special effects in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which opens in theaters Friday.
"This movie could only have been made today. You couldn't have made it 10 years ago," he said on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Thursday.
"If you look at the original Planet of the Apes, you had actors in masks. This was made with Andy Serkis, the incredible performer who did Gollum for Lord of the Rings and King Kong. He is the master of this. And the Weta special effects company who did the effects for Lord of the Rings and Avatar created the chimpanzees."
"You'd think it's all done on a blue screen stage, but we've advanced to the point where we do it on regular sets. Andy shows up in a gray kind of pajamas outfit with wires all over it," says Franco, "and he has a camera on his arm pointed on his face that captures all his expressions, and his behavior is so realistic that you immediately see beyond it. Your imagination takes over. It's like acting with a chimpanzee with the best acting instincts."
Jokes Kimmel, "And he doesn't throw crap at you!"
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack