'The River' Premiere Lays Out Scares Familiar and Foreign to the Amazon (Video)
Ahead of the Tuesday debut, creator Oren Peli describes the type of tension in store for the ABC horror series in an extended clip.
For viewers who've only gleaned quick camera movements and screams from the early previews of The River, ABC wants them to know there's more at play in the spooky series from Paranormal Activity creator Oren Peli.
Behind the ominous found footage is the central dilemma of a group searching the Amazon for missing television host Dr. Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood). Obstacles include traditional Amazonian folklore and unexpected twists like a graveyard of demonic toys.
ABC has released a featurette, timed to Tuesday's two-hour premiere of the series. And in addition to laying out the backstory for the Steven Spielberg-produced drama, Peli explains what kind of horror to expect.
"One of the things that I learned for Paranormal Activity was that the kind of scares that sometimes can be very effective on people are not so much the scares of shocking someone with a gory image," explains Peli, "but more the anticipation leading up to the scare."
The River isn't just about anticipation, though. The preview does include some of the more frightening, if not exactly gory, imagery on display in the series.
"We asked ABC how scary we could go with the show," says Peli. "They said, 'go as scary as you want.'"
Cue the night vision shot of a dirty doll head opening its eyes.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game