Roger Ebert Defends Controversial Tweets About Ryan Dunn's Death
"He drank, he drove, 2 people died," writes the film critic of the "Jackass" star.
Roger Ebert sparked outrage on Twitter when he reacted to Jackass star Ryan Dunn's fatal car accident -- which happened a few hours after he posted a photo of himself drinking online -- by Tweeting, "Friends don't let Jackasses drink and drive."
But the film critic stands by what he said on Twitter.
"Perez Hilton's readers agree with me and not with Perez about my tweet on Ryan Dunn. He drank, he drove, 2 people died," he wrote later Monday, referring to the gossip blogger's site, where the debate was raging on.
Ebert also Re-Tweeted another follower: Hey @PerezHilton, I wish you were at the car crash where I nearly died and see me being insensitive towards the driver.
The police report says that "speed" may be a factor in the early-morning crash in Pennsylvania. DUI or drinking was not mentioned.
Thirty-four year old Dunn died early Monday morning when his Porsche hit a tree and burst into flames, according to at the police report. Click here to read the police report from the West Goshen Police Department.
He has starred in every Jackass movie since 2002. His co-stars took to Twitter to memorialize him.
"I don't know what to say, except I love Ryan Dunn and I'm really going to miss him," wrote Steve-O.
“Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn,” Johnny Knoxville Tweeted. My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie. RIP Ryan. I love you buddy.”
Van Toffler, president of MTV Networks music/films group, said in a statement Monday: "We are devastated by the tragic loss of Ryan Dunn - a beloved member of the MTV family for more than a decade. He made us all laugh and had the tireless enthusiastic approach to life of your favorite middle school friend. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Ryan’s family and friends. The Jackass brotherhood will never be the same.”
Lindsay.Powers@thr.com; Twitter: LKPE
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'