'Rookie Blue': Gregory Smith on the Episode Spotlighting 'Every Cop's Worst Nightmare'
The aftermath of the shooting will introduce a season-long arc for Smith's character Dov: "He spends the entire season trying to recover from it," the actor tells THR.
It's every cop's worst nightmare.
On Thursday's episode of Rookie Blue, after entering into a convenience store for some snacks, Dov Epstein (Gregory Smith) makes a split-second decision that could jeopardize his entire police career. When he sees a teenager acting suspiciously (presumably in the middle of a robbery), Dov doles out his gun. Shots are fired. Someone is killed.
"One of the things the writers told me they wanted to do this season was to try to think about the worst possible thing that could happen to one of their characters. Every cop's worst nightmare, to be involved in a shooting," Smith tells The Hollywood Reporter in previewing his character's game-changing hour. "We're not sure as to whether or not the shooting was justified."
The traumatic situation will drastically affect Dov's enthusiastic perspective on police work.
"This reality is catching up to Dov of him taking somebody's life and everything that comes along with that, it hits him very, very, very hard," Smith says. "He spends the entire season trying to recover from it. You have to go back to therapy before you can go back to work. What's the meaning of the job? What's the meaning of his relationships? It all goes to hell. It's darkest before the dawn."
While 15 Division will offer support through the aftermath and during investigation into what happened at the store, "it is isolating," the former Everwood star admits.
Though Smith didn't do any police-related research prior to filming the episode, he did take from personal heartbreak that happened right several months before. "This episode became a catharsis for me," he says. "It's different in terms of the emotions and the events but it gave me a place to put a lot of the emotion into."
Watch a clip from the episode below:
Rookie Blue airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack