Russell Brand, Scientologist? Tom Cruise Not Interested (Video)
In an appearance on "Conan," the actor-comedian says his "Rock of Ages" co-star "had no interest" in recruiting him to the religion. "if there's a cult that don't want me, I want to know why!"
Whether or not he's spinning a yarn, Russell Brand -- whose off-the-cuff observations and lack of a filter make him the perfect late-night guest -- has a way of making you think he's telling the unvarnished truth.
The comic actor riffed on Tom Cruise and Scientology during his Tuesday night guest appearance on Conan, pronouncing to big laughs: "Firstly, he's a glorious man and he's very kind and sweet. That's what you say if you want to continue to work in the film industry."
Brand, who starred opposite Hollywood's most famous Scientologist in 2012's Rock of Ages, said he was interested in learning more about the religion from Cruise on set. "So every so often I'd say things like, 'Oh, Tom, sometimes I'm a bit lost in life' ... 'Tom, I wish I had a way of thinking more positively about the future.' That man had no interest in getting me in Scientology at all."
Lamented Brand: "If there's a cult that don't want me, I want to know why!"
(A theory? Russell's mouth might be too big for David Miscavige to muzzle.)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR