Sarah Hyland, Hailee Steinfeld: Next Generation Philanthropist (Video)
The "Modern Family" and the "True Grit" starlets are heavily involved in two great charities.
She may not be old enough to vote, but Hailee Steinfeld, 14, doesn't let age stand in the way of her making a difference. That's why when her True Grit co-star Jeff Bridges told her about his No Kid Hungry Campaign, which aims to eradicate child hunger in the U.S. by 2015, she jumped at the chance to get involved. Says Steinfeld, "I was completely shocked to learn there are kids my age who don't have access to food like we do."
In the past two years, she's been spreading the word about the awareness campaign, which enlightens city and state officials about existing federally reimbursed food programs for kids that often go unused. "I've gotten all my friends and family to take the No Kid Hungry Pledge on nokidhungry.org," she says.
Bridges also inspired Modern Family's Sarah Hyland, 20, to join the cause. "The message just touched me so much," she says. It's not Hyland's first foray into philanthropy. She's also a youth ambassador for the Lopez Foundtation, which seeks to create positive change for underprivileged children and adults with kidney disease.
"I hate the word celebrity," Hyland says, "but using our voices can bring attention to these causes and help spread the word faster."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR