'Saving Grace' Scribe Adapting Mexican Telenovela 'Teresa' for ABC (Exclusive)
Nancy Miller will pen the Lionsgate/Televisa script about an ambitious law student living a double life for the network.
ABC is looking to Mexico for its next Revenge.
The network is developing an adaptation of Mexican telenovela Teresa, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
From Saving Grace writer/executive producer Nancy Miller, the drama revolves around an ambitious law student who is living a double life -- one as an ambitious and smart law student who pretends to be like all the other wealthy kids at UCLA and another as an illegal immigrant living on the wrong side of the tracks.
The project, which has received a script commitment, hails from Lionsgate and Televisa.
Teresa first aired in 2010 andstarred Angelique Boyer. The series ended its run in February 2011, with Univision broadcasting it for from April through October of the same year. That series was a remake of a 1959 telenovela with Maricruz Olivier, with a third attempted in 1989 with Salma Hayek in the lead role.
The project marks the latest effort for Lionsgate Television, the shingle behind ABC's upcoming country music drama Nashville and NBC's midseason Dane Cook comedy Next Caller.
Miller, meanwhile, most recently executive produced Lifetime's short-lived Against the Wall. Repped by WME, her credits include The Closer andCSI: Miami.
Teresa comes as the network has found success with Emily VanCamp starrer Revenge, a soapy thriller the network moved to the plumb Sundays at 9 p.m. slot for its second season.
Watch a clip from the 2010 incarnation, below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed