'Secret Life of the American Teenager' to End After Fifth Season
ABC Family has decided to axe the veteran drama, starring Shailene Woodley, after the current season wraps.
The Secret Life of the American Teenager is ending.
ABC Family's veteran teen drama, toplined by Shailene Woodley and created by 7th Heaven's Brenda Hampton, will go off the air after the end of the fifth season, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The decision comes as the hourlong series prepares to air the final 12 episodes of the season in March. When the Secret Life of the American Teenager ends, it will have aired more than 120 episodes.
Hampton called all of the series regulars on the show to inform them of the news. One of the stars, Daren Kagasoff, wrote Tuesday evening on Twitter: "It is what it is."
Secret Life of the American Teenager, centered on unexpected teen pregnancies and how the people involved deal with it, solidified the cable network as a major scripted player when it debuted in summer 2008, leading to future successes like Pretty Little Liars. During the series' run, Woodley found success starring opposite George Clooney in the 2011 feature The Descendants.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)