Seth MacFarlane's 'Family Guy,' 'American Dad' Renewed Through 2013-14
Fox has picked up both Sunday staples for additional seasons, while a decision on "The Cleveland Show" beyond its fourth year has yet to be made.
Fox is keeping the back half of its Animation Domination intact.
The network has picked up Family Guy and American Dad for additional episodes, keeping both Seth MacFarlane series on the air through the 2013-14 television season, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The network picked up Family Guy for its 10th season in May 2011, while American Dad was picked up for its seventh frame in February 2011; Thursday's news will bring the Sunday night staples into their respective 11th and eighth seasons.
STORY: What Killed Seth MacFarlane's 'Flintstones' TV Remake
Both 20th Television-produced half-hours continue to be stellar performers for the network, airing back-to-back starting at 9 p.m. as part of Fox's Sunday Animation Domination block, which also includes Family Guy spinoff The Cleveland Show, which has already been renewed for a fourth season. The fate of Cleveland, which also hails from MacFarlane and 20th, beyond next year's fourth season has yet to be determined.
The Family Guy pickup comes six months after MacFarlane told THR that part of him wanted the series to end. "Part of me thinks that Family Guy should have already ended," he said at the time. "I think seven seasons is about the right life span for a TV series. I talk to the fans, and in a way I'm kind of secretly hoping for them to say we're done with it. There are plenty of people who say the show is kind of over the hill … but still the vast majority go pale in the face when I mention the possibility."
PHOTOS: Broadcast TV's Returning Shows for 2012-13 Season
Meanwhile, Sunday staple The Simpsons -- following tense negotiations with its voice cast -- already has been renewed for two additional seasons, while midseason entry Bob's Burgers was picked up for a third season earlier this year. Freshman animated entries Allen Gregory has already been canceled, while ratings underperformer Napoleon Dynamite is not expected to return and is not currently in production.
MacFarlane's planned reboot of The Flintstones is "on life support," sources say, after the studio and network brass who read the script in early April were not thrilled with the finished product.
Email: Lesley.Goldberg@thr.com; Twitter: @Snoodit
THR's Daily Must Feeds
-
Gwyneth Paltrow: People's 'Most Beautiful' 2013
-
Real Life 'Bling Ring' Member Slams Emma Watson Movie
-
Cannes Jury: Nicole Kidman And Ang Lee Join Star-Studded Panel
-
Dana Carvey & Mike Myers: 'Wayne's World' Reunion
-
Jim Toth: Back to Work After DUI Arrest
-
Rihanna: Ten Billboard Music Award Nominations
-
Zach Braff Is Kickstarting His 'Garden State' Follow-up
-
Jon Hamm Will Host the ESPYs
What's Hot in TV
-
Bret Easton Ellis: 'I've Been Banned by GLAAD Media Awards'
-
TV Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Tops 'American Idol' With Record-Breaking Finale
-
FCC Blesses Red Sox Player's F-Bomb: He 'Spoke From the Heart' (Video)
-
'Idol' Panic: Secret Plot to Replace Mariah Carey With Jennifer Lopez Fails (Exclusive)
-
NBC Cancels 'Ready for Love'
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 1
White House Correspondents' Dinner: Where the Stars Are Sitting
- 2
Zach Braff's Kickstarter Project Hits $2 Million Goal
- 3
Radio Disney Music Awards: What to Expect from the 2013 Show
- 4
Box Office Report: 'Pain & Gain' Tops Friday, Eyeing $20.5 Million Weekend
- 5
'The Good Wife': 5 Things to Know About the Season 4 Finale
- 6
Johnny Depp to Star in Disney Musical 'Into the Woods'
- 7
'American Idol' Winner David Cook Unveils a 'New Chapter' (Exclusive Audio)
- 8
5 Things the Film Academy Should Do at Its May 4 Meeting (Opinion)
- 9
Nicki Minaj Makes Film Debut in Cameron Diaz's 'The Other Woman'
- 10
Iron Man 3: Film Review


