'Shameless' Actress Books NBC Comedy 'Brenda Forever'
Daija Owens has joined the Ellie Kemper-toplined comedy pilot.
NBC's Brenda Forever is rounding out its cast.
Shameless actress Daija Owens has been added to the half-hour single-camera comedy pilot starring Ellie Kemper, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
In Brenda Forever, stories from Brenda Miller's past and present are interwoven to give a unique portrait of how the chubby, awkward, but incredibly confident 13-year-old grew up to be a 31-year-old woman (Kemper) who still marches to the beat of her own drum.
Owens, who starred in NBC's short-lived comedy Best Friends Forever, will play a young Pearl Gardner, Brenda's best friend. Never seen without Skittles or Pez, Pearl is self-effacing and doesn't put up a fuss when things don't go her way. Da'vine Joy Randolph plays the adult version. MadTV's Stephnie Weir co-stars.
David Lampson and Andrew Leeds are set to write and executive produce the pilot, which is based on a spec script that the network nabbed following a bidding war with Fox. Rescue Me’s Peter Tolan and Michael Wimer (2012) will join them as EPs on the Sony TV/Tolan and Wimer’s Fedora Entertainment production.
Owens is repped by Abrams Artists Agency.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR