TV Ratings: Simon Cowell's 'X Factor' Holds Up on Second Night
The Fox singing competition show was down less than 5 percent, but it was beat by CBS' "The Big Bang Theory" and "Person of Interest."
It looks like Simon Cowell's X Factor held up fairly well in its second night. According to preliminary ratings, X Factor averaged an 8.3 household rating from 8-10 p.m. That's down less than five percent compared to yesterday's 8.7 in the same measurement.
X Factor was bested by CBS' The Big Bang Theory at 8 p.m. (9.6 household rating versus 7.4) and 8:30 p.m. (9.6 versus 8.8) and by CBS' Person of Interest from 9-9:30 p.m. (8.7 versus 8.2). But X Factor inched up in its final half-hour, closing at an 8.8 household rating.
The show pulled in 12.5 million viewers and averaged a 4.4 rating in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic for its two-hour premiere on Wednesday night. That marked a 52 percent increase compared to the network’s performance on the night last season.
But it fell short of the 5.1 demo rating that NBC’s The Voice – a surprise hit for the network – drew for its premiere last spring. (X Factor did best The Voice premiere by about half a million total viewers.) X Factor was also bested last night by ABC’s hour-long premiere of Modern Family, which pulled in a 6 rating and 14.3 million viewers. From 8-10 p.m., ABC actually bested Fox in the demo by 7 percent.
Fox reality chief Mike Darnell told The Hollywood Reporter Thursday that he expected the show to go down in its second night.
“[American] Idol generally goes down on the second night. So my expectations will be that [X Factor] will go down,” he said, adding that he hopes it will remain in the range of a 4 demo rating.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack