Liza Minnelli to Guest Star, Sing on NBC's 'Smash'
She'll play herself in a spring episode of the musical drama's upcoming second season.
Smash is continuing to up the ante for its second season.
The sophomore drama has tapped Oscar, Golden Globe, Tony and Emmy winner Liza Minnelli to guest star as herself in a spring episode, NBC announced Tuesday.
Minnelli will perform an original song from Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman with Smash co-star Christian Borle in "The Surprise Party" episode scheduled to air in the spring.
"Liza Minnelli is the essence of a multitalented, singular show business sensation, particularly for her extraordinary contributions to Broadway," NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement announcing the news. "So what could be more fitting than to have her legendary talent on a show that celebrates a world Liza has dazzled for decades? I had the pleasure of working with Liza when we restored her landmark television special Liza With a Z at Showtime, and to see her artistry up close and personal is a thing to behold.”
The Cabaret star joins a roster of season two stars that include Bernadette Peters, Hairspray's Nikki Blonsky, Rent's Jesse L. Martin, Jennifer Hudson and Sean Hayes, among others.
Smash returns for its second season on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at 9 p.m., returning to its regular time slot on Feb. 12 at 10 p.m.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR