'Splash' Star Nicole Eggert Injured in ABC Series' Most Recent Pool Mishap
The beleaguered reality competition, which recently lost contestant Katherine Webb and saw further ratings declines, sends another would-be diver to the doctor.
Celebrity diving might be as dangerous as Splash's early promos promised.
ABC's aquatic reality competition, which already has seen its share of mishaps, has sent another contestant to the doctor after hurting themselves on set. A show rep confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that Nicole Eggert was injured after a bad landing during a Splash taping earlier this week. TMZ was first to report the story, noting that the former Baywatch and Charles in Charge actress was sent to the hospital for treatment and released several hours later. The rep adds that she is consulting with a doctor.
This isn't the most surprising news considering Splash already has had four contestants suffer injuries -- though, in all fairness, the first (Chuy Bravo) to leave the show fractured his heel at an afterparty for the first taping.
But subsequent snafus have been more serious. Comedian Louie Anderson bruised his ribs during a March practice, professional skier Rory Bushfield ruptured an eardrum during a practice flip and, during Tuesday's episode, model Katherine Webb bowed out because of a back injury that prevented her from no longer taking all of the leaps into the pool.
"I went to the doctor, and unfortunately he told me I'm out for the competition," she said at the top of the most recent broadcast.
Injuries haven't been Splash's only problem. The freshman series, which saw an auspicious start in the ratings with a 2.6 among adults 18-to-49 and 8.8 million viewers, has seen its audience dwindle while up against NBC's The Voice on Tuesday nights. The most recent episode averaged just a 1.1 rating in the key demo and 5.2 million viewers.
Three weeks remain for the series, with the finale set for May 7. Eggert, whose fate on the pretaped show won't likely be revealed until the next broadcast, is one of five remaining contestants. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Drake Bell, Brandi Chastain and Bushfield also are still in contention.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)