'Star Wars Rebels' Unveils New R2-D2-Inspired Droid (Photos)
Chopper will be introduced in the fall animated series on Disney Channel and Disney XD.
Disney and Lucasfilm have unveiled the latest character in the animated series Star Wars Rebels.
Chopper, the new character in the Star Wars universe, is described as "a lazy, cranky (if ultimately good-hearted) astromech droid." Chopper is a crew member of the Ghost, tasked with keeping the starship running and operable for its heroes -- and he is the only one to handle the job.
The design for Chopper (a.k.a. C1-10P) was inspired by early Ralph McQuarrie concept art for R2-D2, with significance placed on the arms that fold out of Chopper's head. (See below for more concept art comparing R2-D2 and Chopper.)
Disney also created a behind-the-scenes video highlighting the process of bringing Chopper to life. (Watch below.)
Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, which spans about two decades. The animated series is set "in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."
The first image of Star Wars Rebels' villain, the "intimidating" Inquisitor, was unveiled in October.
Star Wars Rebels will premiere in the fall as a one-hour special on Disney Channel, before debuting as a series on sister channel Disney XD worldwide.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR