'State of Georgia' Off to OK Start for ABC Family
Stiff competition on the broadcast and cable networks gave ABC Family's new comedy lineup a run for its money.
On Wednesday, rookie comedy State of Georgia debuted as the cabler's second-highest comedy premiere to date in the adults 18-49 demographic, only behind Melissa & Joey, which returned for its summer run. About 737,000 in 18-49 watched Georgia, led by Raven-Symone and Majandra Delfino, at 8:30 p.m.
With 1.32 million total viewers tuning in, Georgia's series opener underperformed if compared to the shortlived 10 Things I Hate About You which drew about 1.6 million to its premiere before it was canceled. Though it is not a direct comparison, Pretty Little Liars launched to 2.5 million on the drama side.
Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence's Melissa & Joey led off the night with a solid showing at 8 p.m., outperforming its fall finale in 18-34 (518,000 vs. 439,000), among other female-centric demos. Melissa & Joey attracted 1.54 million.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR