Stephen Colbert Stays the Course With Debate Gag After Donald Trump Bails (Video)
Trump's exodus from moderating a G.O.P. debate hasn't discouraged the "Colbert Report" host from moving forward with his own -- which will now be held at a zoo.
Comedy Central's evening anchors took the news of Donald Trump's departure from moderating Newsmax's Dec. 27 G.O.P. debate quite hard on Tuesday night -- but it hasn't stopped Stephen Colbert from moving forward with his own tongue-in-cheek debate.
"At first, I assumed the date conflicted with Trump's annual full-body gold-leafing," the Colbert Report host said, "but it turns out he has canceled for a more important reason."
Colbert then cut to a clip of Trump explaining on Fox News that he "won't rule out an independent run."
"I would be lying if I didn't say I saw this coming," said Colbert, turning the subject back to himself. "To honor the memory of Trump mattering, it is more important than ever that tonight I re-announce 'Stephen Colbert's South Carolina Serious, Classy Republican Debate.'"
The host remains committed to the bit, saying that it will be held in mid to late January, at a zoo, with a likely change in network.
"It was going to be on Animal Planet," he said. "Now I am getting some hot heat from National Geographic... Nat Geo... Natty G."
Watch the full clip below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack