Stephen Colbert Returns to Comedy Central; Explains Absence (Video)
The "Colbert Report" host addresses the wild rumors surrounding his brief hiatus and sets the record straight on why he abandoned his post.
The rumor mill went into overdrive when Stephen Colbert unexpectedly halted production on his nightly Comedy Central program, leaving many to speculate what could have caused the host to abandon his post.
Colbert returned to the airwaves on Monday, Feb. 20 and using his signature humor, addressed the many rumors surrounding his absence. As it turns out, Colbert shut down production for two days in order to tend to his 91-year-old mother.
"Evidently, having 11 children makes you tough as nails," he joked during the broadcast.
Among the rumors shot down: A forthcoming bid for the presidency, show cancellation, a rehab stint and plastic surgery.
Ahead of his return, Comedy Central would only say that the tapings were canceled due to “unforeseen circumstances.” On Friday, Colbert tweeted to his fans: “My family and I would like to thank everyone who has offered their thoughts and prayers. We are grateful and touched by your concern.”
Watch the clip below
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)