Steven Bochco's 'Murder in the First' Gets Series Order at TNT
Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson star in the 10-episode drama, which is set for summer 2014.
TNT is officially in business with Steven Bochco.
The Turner-owned cable network has greenlit drama series Murder in the First, starring Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson.
Bochco (NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues) penned the pilot alongside co-creator Eric Lodal (Lawless) and executive produces. TNT has ordered 10 episodes of the drama, which hails from TNT Originals. Lodal will co-exec produce the series, which is slated to premiere in summer 2014. TBS International will handle distribution outside of the U.S. and Canada.
The drama revolves two seemingly unrelated high-profile murder cases and the subsequent police investigation, arrest and trial, offering viewers a window into the inner-workings of modern justice in an increasingly complex world.
Diggs stars as Terry Seagrave, a homicide detective who is dealing with his wife's terminal illness. For Terry, being a cop is his one chance to live right and "do good," and the job keeps him focused and off the sadness that tends to preoccupy his thoughts. Robertson will portray Hildy Mulligan, Terry's partner, who is described as self-assured and sexy without knowing it. She's divorced with a young daughter and a fearless detective who is keenly aware that her partner is grappling with a difficult situation. Both actors received multiple pilot offers this casting season.
"Murder in the First sets up an engrossing, season-long mystery that's certain to appeal to TNT fans," said Michael Wright, president and head of programming for TNT, TBS and TCM. "We are thrilled to be working with Steven Bochco once again. We look forward to seeing this fascinating mystery unspool in the hands of Steven, Eric Lodal and the incredible cast and crew of Murder in the First."
Tom Felton, Mimi Kirkland, Raphael Sbarge, Ian Anthony Dale, Bess Rous and Steven Weber co-star in the drama, that marks Diggs and Robertson's first series roles since Private Practice and Boss, respectively.
Murder in the First is one of four new scripted dramas heading to TNT. Frank Darabont drama Mob City will debut in December, with Michael Bay's The Last Ship and Howard Gordon's Legends also set for 2014. Murder in the First joins fellow summer dramas Falling Skies and Perception on the roster for next year. Meanwhile, the fate of original dramas Franklin & Bash and rookie King & Maxwell have yet to be determined. The Bochco drama was one of two in the works at the cabler. Geena Davis' bounty hunter drama was passed over in July.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)