Super Bowl XLVII Scores Best Rating Ever for the Game
CBS' broadcast of the Baltimore Ravens defeat of the San Francisco 49ers posted a one percent uptick compared to last year's N.Y. Giants-New England Patriots match-up on NBC.
CBS' broadcast of Super Bowl XLVII that saw the Baltimore Ravens defeat the San Francisco 49ers, pulled in a 48.1 preliminary household rating, the highest number for the game in metered market history. That's a one percent uptick from last year’s matchup between the N.Y. Giants and the New England Patriots, which was broadcast on NBC. That game set a new U.S. audience record with 111.3 million viewers, narrowly besting the previous years' Super Bowl on Fox.
But the rating for last night's game excludes the span of time during the power outage at the Superdome, which occurred from 8:45 – 9:15 p.m. ET, and when some viewers may have begun to channel surf despite valiant efforts on the part of CBS Sports analysts’ at vamping to fill the space.
Super Bowl ratings peaked at a 52.9 rating between 10:30-10:45 p.m. after the 49ers managed to put some points on the board to pull closer to the Ravens. Not surprisingly, the game had its highest overnight rating in Baltimore (59.0 household rating), followed by New Orleans (57.1), where the game was played. Washington, D.C., where many Baltimore fans also live, was the third highest-rated metered market (56.9) and Norfolk, VA was fourth (55.8). San Francisco, home of the losing team, did not even crack the top ten.
Final ratings will be in later today.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack