Super Bowl XLVII Falls Shy of Ratings Record With 108.4 Million Viewers
UPDATED: Fast National returns have the game falling nearly 3 million short of the high set in 2012 -- and a special "Elementary" seems to suffer from its late start time.
After scrubbing the mid-game blackout delay from ratings and making time zone adjustments, Nielsen gives Sunday night's Super Bowl a haul of 108.41 million viewers.
The matchup in New Orleans between the victorious Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers was down nearly 3 million from last year's record of 111.3 million for the game between the New York Giants and New England Patriots. Super Bowl XLVII now stands as the No. 3 most-watched program in U.S. history.
The final tally, also down from 2011's 111-million strong Super Bowl that pitted the Green Bay Packers against the Pittsburgh Steelers, comes after record overnight ratings for the CBS broadcast. Fast National returns give the game a 46.3 rating and a 69 share. Viewership peaked between 10:30 and 10:47 p.m. ET, with 113.92 million viewers on hand for the fourth quarter.
Elementary hit a series high with 20.8 million viewers after the game, though the freshman drama no doubt took a hit from its late start time. The game delay pushed Elementary to 11:11 p.m. ET, nearly an hour later than last year's post-game episode of The Voice (37.6 million) on NBC. It marked a 10-year low for a post-game outing, with ABC's 2003 episode of Alias, which began at 11.01 p.m., pulling in 17.4 million viewers.
In the key demo, Elementary pulled a 7.8 rating with adults 18-49.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game