Syfy Announces 'Sharknado' Sequel
The follow-up will see flying sharks invade New York City.
It's official: Syfy will make a follow-up to last week's Twitter sensation Sharknado.
Sharknado 2 will see flying sharks invade New York City and is slated to air on the cable network in 2014.
Sharknado 2, a working title, will be produced by The Asylum, the company behind last week's TV movie that created a social media frenzy despite its relatively modest ratings.
Syfy also announced a Twitter contest to name the sequel. Fans will be able to tweet their subtitle to @SyfyMovies using #Sharknado. The network will select the best submission as the sequel's subtitle.
Said Syfy executive vp programming and original movies Thomas Vitale: "Every once in a while, there is a perfect storm -- on television. The fans are clamoring for a sequel. Or perhaps it will be a prequel. What we can guarantee is that Sharknado 2 will be lots of fun. We’ll be announcing more details very soon. But we didn’t want our fans to worry they wouldn’t get their fill of more shark fin, I mean, fun next year."
Sharknado stars Beverly Hills, 90210 alum Ian Ziering and American Pie's Tara Reid as they battle sharks who take over Los Angeles.
Sharknado drew more than 604,000 tweets Thursday, more than the mentions for Game of Thrones' "Red Wedding" episode.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR